If you want the press to cover your story, you need to write a compelling press release (or get a content agency like Scribly to write it for you). We know all the tricks of the trade, so here are a few of our top tips:
- Craft a concise and attention-grabbing headline that summarizes the main news or announcement. Remember, you want to entice the journalist to read more and write about it.
- Lead with the most important information right off the bat, including the who, what, when, where, why, and how of the announcement. This means that even if journalists only read your opening paragraphs, they’ll get the key points of the announcement.
- Elaborate on the announcement after the opening paragraph, providing more content, details, and background information.
- Include key quotes to add a human element to the story, add links to your website or relevant online sources, and includes images, videos or infographics as relevant to make it more compelling
- Make sure you specify who the media should contact for further information too. It’s all about telling a great story and building connections.